Tuesday, January 18, 2011

::Sweet Misconceptions - The Myth of "You Complete Me"::

Hypothetical conversation:
Her: This feels so right. It's like, you're everything I've ever needed...
Him: I know, what I've been searching for forever, I found in you.
Her:It's kind of like...
Both: You complete me....

Err, nope.... lol

In conversing with my sis @_JTrue last week, we spoke extensively about various relationship ills and how people view what they need or want in a partner based on past problems...

One person hurts you, and then you go into the next relationship expecting the new person to fill a void that they didn't create. You can't expect to fix you through someone else.

We are already complete and who we are meant to be. Does anyone expect their partner to enhance them and build them up? I do.

I guess that's why I'm taking this time out right now to truly work on me and get my career and "stuff" (lol) in order before I get into my next relationship. I don't want to bring a whole bunch of baggage or insecurities into a relationship and be leery with trust issues. That's not healthy nor fair for the relationship and the other party involved.

I want my partner to make me a better me. We would enhance each other based on our already developed character traits and values. The whole idea of being equally yoked. I'm not looking for him to over compensate for what I lack. I would hope that he would accept and love my flaws and if need be, help me make those flaws into unique strengths. And the same in return for him.

From what I know of my peers, people jump into relationships for the wrong reasons and then, in turn, jump out because of unforeseen conflicts. Without fully knowing someone and their background, you can't possibly know whether you'll have a successful and progressive relationship.

I'm working on my friendships and relationships that I am currently rooted in. How I nurture and maintain those relationships. My communication efforts and making them more clear and streamlined for understanding. Hopefully, this will better equip me for my next relationship.

At this point, within this #BeautifulCrusade I am learning a lot about myself. Getting better in tune with my flaws, my character, my goals and my values. That way, I can say honestly, I know who I am and what it is that I want in life and within a relationship. Without knowing that, I'd definitely be confused and slip that "You complete me" line...

Today I realized that in order to grow exponentially, I have to let go and have faith that there is definitely something great waiting for me later on when I'm ready.

In the meantime, I continue to pray for patience and to stay humble in all my efforts; personal and professional relationship-wise.

Much love,
#AmericasTweetheart
@CharriseRenee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Charrise,
    Great post! I agree with you on many points. It is interesting how there is a lot of societal pressure around people being coupled, especially women. I'm so used to people asking me about my love life and if I'm seeing anyone. It gets old sometimes. I like to switch it up based on my mood and of course my dating status. Here's my latest - They ask: Hey, Karen, you dating anyone? I say: No, I'm blogging, not dating. Not only is it true but people seem to really be amused by it.

    ReplyDelete