Sunday, November 14, 2010

::Sweet Truth - Where Do Our Intentions Stand::

What are the root reasons why we deliberately do the things that we do? Sometimes truth is hard to find within the overall perspective... Or maybe it isn't.

Chrisette Michele does a great job of exemplifying her truth and making us see our own from time to time. Recently, she made a very poignant post on her blog regarding an incident at a recent award show where Rick Ross allegedly walked out of the show in response to losing an award.

"...I pray with every song I sing I'm singing from the bottom of my heart. If all we want is an award for telling our truths, then we really have no true reason. This isn’t a competition. This is a stage for self expression and I’m grateful for the opportunity to live on it. I’d sing even if nobody sang along...."

I question our generation's authenticity. Why do we portray ourselves in such ways that are inauthentic and un-genuine? Why do we thrive on ignorance and strive for recognition? Why is it that we cannot pursue our purpose; adding value to the world and lives of others? Is that not sufficient enough?

We have won before the race has even began. But I guess nowadays, the medal holds more importance than the actual race. The journey to get to the recognition. The lives that were touched along the way. Who we transitioned into because of that pursuit...

We lack values and morals... No code of ethics among ourselves. Our pursuits stem from selfish intentions. It ills me to say that I am a part of such a mass of people. I guess that's why I take it upon myself to be different. Not for the sake of the supposed "recognition" and "accolades".

There are too many instances where we as a generation judge others before judging ourselves.We take responsibility for nothing and take credit for everything. Glorifying THINGS and not being satisfied with self. We shine a light on the imperfections of others before turning the mirror on ourselves to view and correct our own faults. It seems as if we have some major generational insecurity issues, right? Another post, another day...

 WE ARE NOT PERFECT

We are uniquely made with divine purpose. These "celebrities" are just regular people who are given a broader platform to display their purpose... If they so choose. Then there are others who use said platform for selfish, self glorifying reasons. Big, fat SMH to those of them that live with those, ahem, intentions.

"I make music for the hood. To tell the story of where we come from. My music is the definition of the struggle and the hustle. I do this for those that are mute and have no voice.."


Which really means:

"I make music to tell my own story so that I'll sell records and get a grammy. Then from there I'll get even more recognition and forget about my hood."

Right? Right.

But this is more than music. This is more than the entertainment industry. This is PEOPLE and INTENTIONS in the broadest sense of the subject at hand. Where do your intentions lie and what value are you adding to this world of infinite possibility and influence?



To put it bluntly, Get Ya Sh*t Together.



And that's said with much love, as always....


C. Renee


Chrisette Michele
Photo Credit: Dion Jefferies for
Immaculate Perception Photography
Taken at The Kristol Blake Salon & Spa
Chrisette Michele Meet & Greet
11/12/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment