Sunday, November 7, 2010

::Sweet Friendships - Analyzing Relationships for the Sake of Sanity and Success::

What do our friendships say about who we are? Birds of a feather build nests of the same twigs, sticks and dirt together...

Looking on my current position, I'd say it's essential that I have a strong circle of friendship and support. And I will say that I have some great people backing me on my goals and dreams. They help me put things in perspective as well as keep me on my toes. These great people have gone above and beyond and I am very appreciative for their kindness in that aspect.

However, there are times when our ideals and personalities clash in ways that cannot be ignored. This is natural being that not everyone is the same. How do we preserve the core values of the friendship without letting opinions and personalties get in the way?

I've been tested a few times in the past couple weeks in situational friendships. Tested where I either don't have the same beliefs, values, or opinions as my counterparts. It gets frustrating when you're firmly committed to your goals and grounded in your ideals and, in turn, someone tries to force what they feel or believe on you. Friendships are supposed be built on a level of respect and cammraderie. What happens when those things fall apart or begin to shift?

In another aspect, I've been continually faced with the battle of being a friend to someone who isn't such a great friend to myself and others. Of course, in this light, the obvious answer would be to end the relationship correct? Or approach this situation in a non-confrontational manner. This tends to be hard when people have the tendency to be defensive or possess the inability to take constructive criticism well. It's like an inevitable tug-o-war of hearts, minds, and pride. No winner to be found amidst the three.

This all feels like I'm rambling and not making much sense... I may or may not be. Situations like these give me headaches. Mostly when I see things in mutliple friendships that I do not agree with. I do not like the person that I am becoming by choosing to continually associate with certain people and pursue friendships with empty meaning. I will say that in times like these, I tend to distance myself from everyone.

Especially now.

My goals take precedence and I'm committed to making things happen. A lot of people talk and plan about what they will do but never get around to action because the talking gets in the way.

Here is where I seperate the talkers from the doers.

2 comments:

  1. I love it sis!!! Once again we're on the same page in life without even knowing! I'm experiencing this EXACT thing as of late. Prayer will get us through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think that this was well written, but you should probably discuss those issues with the people as well. Blogging about it may be a great way to release stress and also share your opinion with others but won't fix whatever issues you have with the people who are/aren't as good a friend to you or are/aren't bringing you down.

    ReplyDelete